Saturday, August 26, 2006

Does the S in NSA stand for Samuel L. Jackson?

I don't know why I answered the phone when caller id said it was some company I'd never heard of. And I don't know why I didn't hang up when I heard it was a recorded message. Maybe because I like Samuel L. Jackson. Which charity, I wondered, got him on board? No charity: Snakes on a Plane... He's calling me telling me to go see it. Weird enough, but things got even freakier when he said, "So stop playing with your beard" (how does he know I have a beard?!) "and stop listening to that crazy music" (how does he know I listen to "crazy music") "and take your wife Carolyn to come see 'Snakes on a Plane." Man!
Crazy. So smooth, no interuptions, IN HIS VOICE. Made my morning, best bit of guerilla advertising since KFC and that S&M chicken... Whoever set it up, thanks. (Now, who set it up?)

8 Comments:

At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got that same call! I didn't listen to the whole thing- I just thought "stupid marketing!" and hung up.
I guess I should have waited to hear my personal invitation to invite my husband, Jon!

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger la Ketch said...

i'm thinking blade might be behind this...

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger jonnynono said...

I'm no fan of marketing. When I'm listening to the radio in the car I turn the station as soon as a commercial comes on until I find a station with music. Any music. Well, almost, anyway. Same with tv, I'd much rather watch the dvd when the season's over than deal with the damn commercials. And billboards are just a blight in the countryside. And don't even get me started on those marketing-slime-owned BMWs and Hummers in the parking lot at work next to my '98 Lumina. The heat of my rage keeps me warm at night just thinking about it!

That said, Pete, I have a confession. I did it. Same for you, momster. Turns out you should've waited for my pal Samuel L Jackson to tell you to take me to the movie. Beacuse he was about to when you so rudely hung up on him!

I couldn't help it. A friend of mine had that crazy computer call me at work, and I couldn't stop laughing! I agree, it was very freaky when he said things like 'quit playing with your glasses'. But as much as I hate marketing I had to admit it, this one got to me. And I don't know why, but I thought you might get a kick out of it too Pete.

By the way, as funny as I think the ad was, I still probably won't see the movie. I like Samuel L. Jackson but I hate snakes more. But you can set up the call at the movie website.

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger pete. said...

Ha! Yeah, I laughed hard, and have been telling everyone about it... But I'm gonna hang up fast when Mel Gibson calls.

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger bladio said...

that is cool! i'm glad the mystery is solved.

 
At 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon is a boogerhead!

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger jonnynono said...

But not a smoked boogerhead!

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Floyd said...

Tom Cruise called me and asked me to join Scientology. no, not really. he never calls. Ha! never. Ha. I laugh through the tears out loudly. LOL sob LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home