Sunday, August 06, 2006

Very Strange

So this is weird. I was just sitting here revising this short poem:

How they sorted into piles
the bodies the riots left,
Hindus a tattoo of
an Om, Muslims the lucky
number 786.

"America a big town.
Rickshaw not possible."


...when I decided to do an internet search on the significance of "786." You can imagine my surprise to read that 786 is indeed a holy and lucky number to lots of Muslims, and that IT IS TOMORROW! August 7, 2006 (when written as most of the world writes dates) is a big day. Like 6/6/6 was to you King Diamond fans. I'm not much on "significant" dates (though I'll be holding my breath through 2012), but it did give me a synchronistic chill. I mean, I've had this poem sitting around for months... Why did I decide to research it tonight? Lots of people who were fanatical enough to riot to the death (the poem refers to the 2002 riots in Ayodhya, India) got this number tattooed on their bodies; let's hope no one with the same mindset decides tomorrow's the day for "something big."

2 Comments:

At 7:54 AM, Blogger kww said...

Holy and lucky.
Somehow your description doesn't make me think lucky. Holy maybe.
Holy s&*^ (shift-786)

I haven't turned on the news yet, so I am going to go for...lucky. And holy in a good way.

 
At 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! We made it to 886!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home