Friday, March 23, 2007

Mr. Jannson's Temptation


That's my Wacky Packages folder's parody for Swedish Fish. Some of those parodies are pretty lame. I'm in Sweden mode, though, so it makes me chuckle. I'm so in Sweden mode that I special ordered the Mountain Goats album Sweden. The songs have nothing to do with Sweden but the liner notes are a hilarious paranoid rant about the Swede's true intentions (come for the liner notes, stay for the Steely Dan cover).

In 1979's book Meet Sweden Gosta Wadensjo tells us that "the herring dishes are a well know part of the smorgasbord. Amongst the best known of these dishes are herring with onions, marinated herring, herring with dill etc. and the much appreciated 'Mr. Jannson's Temptation' (a dish which is made in the oven consisting of layers of potatoes, anchovies and onions cooked in cream)."
One nice thing about preparing for a Sweden trip is you get to watch a lot of films. I had seen My Life as a Dog years ago, but had forgotten most of it. It's great. Even if you've seen it, if it's been a while rent it for the DVD extra short film Ska vi gå hem till dej eller till mej eller var och en till sitt? (Shall We Go to My Place or Your Place or Each Go Home Alone?). It is very funny.
Kitchen Stories is technically a Norwegian movie, but it gives you some insight into the Swedish psyche.
Kestrel's Eye is a narration-free documentary about some birds that live in a church. I couldn't hack it. It's slooow. It makes that new movie about the monks look like Natural Born Killers. I mean, these birds are natural born killers, but even watching them tear apart a mouse for their chicks was boring.
Together is one of my favorites. Just as Dog Day Afternoon proved a gateway to Elton John, so Together may prove a gateway to ABBA. It also has some great music by Bo Perrson from Trad, Gras och Stenar. Sadly, they are playing Stockholm a week after I leave.
Rick Steves is a dork, but a handy dork.
Great North is a good documentary about the Inuit in Canada and the Sami people in northern Sweden. The Sami used to be called the Lapp and they have lots of reindeer. This was an Imax movie. You get to watch Nanook's grandson build an igloo.
Oh yeah, Bergman is pretty good too.

5 Comments:

At 6:12 AM, Blogger la Ketch said...

YOU HAVE TO WATCH PIPPI LONGSTOCKING. i would recommend "Pippi on the Run" to start. It has to be the original 1970's version with Inger Nilsson. You won't be able to find it with subtitles unfortunately, you'll have to listen to it dubbed but it's so freaking Swedish that it doesn't matter. The dubbing makes it even more charming. I'm telling you this movie is pure genius and a National Treasure and if you don't watch it they won't let you in the country. Also, there is an Astrid Lindgren museum in Stockholm that is quite worth visiting. Also, the National Theatre in Stockholm is really good and dripping with Bergman (he directed there a lot). I saw a production of the Three Sisters there that was really good. Have fun! I'm so jealous. It's a really cool place.

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger pete. said...

Thanks, La Ketch. The Pippi movie is now first on my Netflix queue. I moved it about "I am Curious Yellow." I'll have to try to get those places...

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger momster said...

I completely forgot about wacky packs- I loved those things!
and My Life As a Dog is wonderful. I should watch it again.
Can't wait to hear about your trip. :-)

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Ash said...

Don't forget pickled herring!

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger watie said...

Is "My life as a dog" the one where the small boy climbs onto the roof of the sculptor's studio in order to peek at the town beauty posing nude? He fall through the skylighht, injuring himself on the floor, but as he's being wheeled away says "it was worth it..."?

That is one of the best scenes ever. I should netflix that and soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home