Thursday, March 01, 2007


I'm going to Sweden. Carolyn can't go because of vacation time. The building in this picture is the Kulturhuset i Ytterjärna Södertälje, or "cultural center." It is is near Jarna, the village where my friend Mattias lives. I met Mattias in India where we traveled together quite a bit. Jarna's a has an umlaut. It is the center of the Swedish Anthroposophy movement. Wikipedia has a nice article about what that is, but all you need to know is that it's Rudolph Steiner's thing. Mattias isn't part of that scene, but it sounds like he knows a lot of those freethinking folks. Freethinking folks equals cool place to live. Even Michael Medved admitted that. It'll at least be a nice place to visit in late April. Walpurgis Eve is April 30, my last night there. It welcomes Spring. They have bonfires all night. Almost a year ago I posted my shock that Swedish kids dress as witches and go door to door for candy...on Easter. Who knows what crazy shit they do for Walpurgis. Leave teeth beneath their pillows? Pack away their summer whites? Stay tuned.
In other news, I got a phone call from Fabio asking me to enter a contest to visit his grotto.

5 Comments:

At 9:02 AM, Blogger Bob said...

Wow...amazing! I'm rather jealous of your killer travel plans...

 
At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I told FABIO to contact you. FABIO also contacted Tom. I don't have too many friends here in DC who would appreciate a phone call from FABIO. But I thought you would appreciate the fabioness of it all. FABIO ROX.

 
At 8:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very jealous of you going to Sweden. I have always wanted to go. What cities are you going to visit? Are you just going to Sweden or are you going to other parts of Scandinavia as well?

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger pete. said...

Just Sweden. I'm not going for too long. But I am excited...

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Ash said...

That's awesome Pete!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home