Friday, May 05, 2006

Day labor


Looking for a job bites. Sitting in front of the computer gives me a headache
and is, so far, fruitless. But I've figured out a temporary compromise: since one of my main reasons for getting a new job is
to have a schedule that allows me to see my lovely wife for more than 15 waking minutes a day, I decided to switch to day shift. This option has been open for a few weeks but I was resistant. My bosses work on day shift, and I've become a big fan
of the swing shift. Plus, I had come to see the motivation of a schedule change as my escape hatch from mental health. Um, the mental health field. But Craig's List has been cold, and the jobs on the links for the city and the county T. sent are tantalizing but, as Tantalus knows, always just out of my sweaty reach (my degree, the hours, "internal candidates only"). Not that my hunt is over, though; I'm gonna keep lookin' and hopin'. But this will take the pressure off, and I'll get to spend some real life time with my loved ones. Dinner time, evening walks, readings at Elliot Bay Books, movies. Really looking forward to it. Now I just have to wait until someone else is hired to take my current shift. Know anybody who needs a nice swing shift job with people who want you to define the word "socks" to "the creatures?"

6 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we love you pete!

--sally and carolyn

 
At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pete, that sounds like a wonderful (if temporary) solution! Takes some of the pressure off methinks. You are a thoughtful and kind family member. I'm still not sure why you want to spend more time with Blade, though. Hmmm...
Love you lots!

 
At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

pete, the fact that you don't perfectly meet some qualifications should not deter. Lately here at eh Justice Department (this is Jen, obviously) people I know are applying for jobs that they lacks years of experience for and are getting interviews because they are not getting 100% what they want from the job applicants. If all it costs is sending in your resume, then send it in!!!

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Ash said...

Yay! I am so happy for you! :)

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger dup said...

Pete! Good news, brother! I found this in Craig's List this morning! Seattle edition of course.

Needed: MFA Poet to write MFA playwright's paper on Milton and Pop Culture. Pays is slight, but includes cans of vegetarian chili. Serious applicants, only.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Bob said...

Sounds like a good solution for a while--it sure is nice to be on a schedule that lets you spend time with your significant other...

awwwwww....

Seriously, though, it is really nice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home