Sunday, September 25, 2005

The Big O No

Because I don't like to deal with Amazon.com and because my neighborhood record shop didn't even have it in the system (that happens there way too often) I Googled this album I've been really excited about, Calcutta Slide Guitar by Debashish Bhattacharya (how can that be anything but awesome, ragas played on slide guitar...damn!), and it directed me to the awesome world that it is Overstock.com. So cheap! And the selection! I got Soft Machine's BBC Sessions , Phil Ochs' Rehearsals for Retirement, Jon Hassell/Brian Eno - Fourth World Vol. 1: Possible Musics all much cheaper than at Amazon. I'll always put my local shop first, of course, but if they can't get it for me then I'm going on-line and...the cheaper the better, thanks. And besides, my on-line binge led to a little brick and mortar binge (is this the "trickle down" theory of the Virtual Age?). You see, breaking my one-CD-a-week rule left me so weak and dizzy I walked into another favorite neighborhood record store, Wall of Sound,and bought three discs without even blinking. Of course it was easy to justify--they were the brand new, "just-in-yesterday" limited-run Sublime Frequencies "Axis of Evil" releases (check out that label immediately if you haven't.) And with Tuesdays release of The Craft by Blackalicious...I am back in the broke business. (But, seriously, poke around Overstock.com. I've heard they even sell furniture...)

8 Comments:

At 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought a fluffy pillow there...

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Tina Rowley said...

Congratulations, Pete. I thought nothing could make me overcome that "It's all about the O..." commercial. But you paint a compelling picture.

My favorite part of that horrible commercial is when she says, "Sometimes, it's all about the codes..." when I think she's trying to say clothes.

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger pete. said...

I know, it's terrible. This is proof that Google's ads work; I never would have dealt with them and their jive ass aesthetic if they hadn't popped up that amazing price. Now I'm a customer for life.

 
At 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone already seems to know this but i'll ask anyway...
Why don't you like to deal with Amazon?

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger pete. said...

Oh, it's nothing too exciting. They just screwed up a bunch of my orders. I got sick of 'em.

 
At 7:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't like Amazon because you never know the method of shipping, and the UPS and Fedex people will not leave packages because they allege they'll get stolen, and the fedex and UPS pickup places are 30 miles away! Plus if you order more than one CD and they ship from 2 different places, sometimes they don't tell you and you get one CD but not the other and then have to inquire about where the hell is your other CD??? Too much hassle.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger pete. said...

Exactly! You'd think they'd take care of those problems...

 
At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we even tried to trick amazon by ordering something for pete under my name and my account etc. and it still got lost. but if i order under my name and my account, things don't get lost (knock on wood).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home