Thursday, September 08, 2005

"Welcome to here."


That's what Robyn Hitchcock said to me when I approached him at my favorite coffee shop yesterday morning. It's funny how you can recognize someone instantly, even when they're completely out of context. Or course, he was dressed like he always dresses on stage, in some sort of tight green star pants or something, a black jacket perhaps...

Now I've always been a geek for celebrities and I've inherited my Mom's shamelessness in approaching them so I knew I had to go up, say something. So I told him I love his newest album (true: I bought it last week after downloading a track--his best album in a decade)and that I've seen him live fifty or sixty times
(not true: I did some rough calculating, and, over seventeen years, it's proably more like 30 times). "Oh, you're in it for the long haul." He nodded
toward the cafe walls. "My wife's pictures."

He was very nice.

Yaay, Robyn Hitchcock!

6 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So does he live in Seattle? (since he said his wife's pics were on the wall?) Otherwise I guess the shop owner may just be friends with them. Though, that is very cool

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger pete. said...

I don't think he lives here...he was playing a show at the Crocodile. But he does play here a lot and seems to have a special connection to Seattle. He even has a song (that Dup hates) that goes:"Viva Tacoma, Seattle, Viva viva Sea-Tac..." I should have expressed in my post how much I used to love Robyn Hitchcock. I still like him a lot, but my last years of high school and first years of college I was pretty much obsessed. And he's remained too prolific for that level of attention.

pete.

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger philavox said...

okay pete -- so the coffee shop....

(a) Victrola
(b) Bauhaus
(c) Cafe Vita
(d) None of the above

hmmmm..... (c) ?

p.s. my word verification seems significant: "whszp"

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger pete. said...

Hey CF,
It was Victrola. That's the only place I go anymore. Except for on breaks at work. Then I go to the Casbah in Belltown. I never see rock stars there.

pete.

 
At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard that he does actually live in Seattle.....

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is great! at risk of being self-indulgent, this reminds me of the time my ladyfriend and i approached elvis costello. at a loss for words, she said to him, "You're Awesome," to which he replied, "No. YOU'RE awesome."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home