Saturday, May 31, 2008


I'll never forget the first time I learned that music can be dangerous. It was in Mrs. Lasher's class, third grade, and everyone was gathered around the boxy record player, passing the huge headphones around like an illicit bottle of cough syrup. I only got to wear them for about ten seconds before someone else was tapping my shoulder for their turn, but I had long enough to hear that thrillingly wicked chorus: We don't need NO education/We don't need NO thought control... Oh man, it was just so wonderfully bad.



That said, I never became a Floyd fan. I don't think I've ever actually even bought a Floyd album, except for the Barret ones, used. The trippy Barret stuff is fun, but Waters always struck me as bombastic (that said, I put his Radio KAOS concert right below Slaughterhouse Five on the list of things that stopped me being Republican). Besides, why would I need to spend money on a Pink Floyd album? Everyone I knew was playing it non-stop, and there was no escaping it on the radio. Darkside of the Moon may still hold the record for most time on the charts (there was a copy around here of Darkside that Blade bought but Sally bit it in half); that stuff was just in the air.




Well last night I learned to love The Wall. I went to see the students of the Seattle branch of the Paul Green School of Rock Music perform the entire album for their year-end concert. It was amazing. These kids can rock! Most of the instrumentalists were older kids, sixteen, seventeen, so the music was very competent. What really made it were the vocalists--an eight year old girl sang Comfortably Numb and Another Brick in the Wall. The audience was about enthusiastic as any I've seen, all ages, from toddlers to grandmothers, just going nuts, lighters in the air... They kept switching kids off the stage, so there was always a new line up of musicians and singers--it was constantly engaging. There are a lot of Schools of Rock throughout the country; I highly recommend seeing a concert if you get a chance. It just might blow your mind.


4 Comments:

At 11:34 AM, Blogger dup said...

Man that sound awesome.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger la Ketch said...

you should rent "The Wall Live in Berlin" it's awesome. of course the original movie is pretty good too...

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger bladio said...

i paid full price for that Dark Side CD too.

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger momster said...

That sounds so FUN! I would have loved to do that as a kid.
As for Floyd, it brings back visceral memories of riding the bus to 9th grade. People sticking their feet out the windows, film canisters filled with pot, people drinking screwdrivers from a thermos, boys spitting chewing tobacco into plastic baggies. These were all happening in the back of the bus. I was in the middle of the bus. Cool enough to see what was going on and laugh about it, but not cool enough to be actually participating.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home