Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Rigoberto Blogs!

Rigoberto Gonzalez is blogging for the Poetry Foundation for the next six months. It's good to see that they're spending that $200,000,000 they got in some interesting ways. One of the highlights of this recent highlight-jammed trip to NYC (Serra at MOMA, Drowsy Chaperone, Coney Island, Floating Pool, the Whitney, Other Music, friends friends friends, an AMAZING wedding) was getting to see Rigo read at Martin Espada's fiftieth birthday celebration at the Bowery Poetry Club. What a great scene! I have to confess that I'd never read any Martin Espada before this, but after hearing Gerald Stern reading Espada's "I Apologize for Giving You Poison Ivy by Smacking You in the Eye with the Crayfish at the End of My Fishing Line " I was thoroughly charmed. Martin seems worthy of all the praise heaped on him, that rare breed of radical who knows how and when to be funny while still breaking your heart. Seattle is my home, but it was nice to get a glimpse of the Big City and see that poetry is thriving there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home