Sunday, November 20, 2005

Gone Legit

Why would I let my ears be cleaned on a beach in India by a man with a little sandy, cracked black notebook full of such dumb-ass references as "He scraped what he dug out my ear on his palm; it looked like black, sticky hash--Dof from Australia"...?





Because I was a dumb-ass. And because Angelo did it first. And though I wouldn't let him stick me with acupuncture needles at our Goa guesthouse...



(Mattias was braver)








...I did trust that he knew what he was talking about. My ears hurt like hell that night so I wouldn't do that again, but I guess I was right to trust him: This week I received this in an email. He's cleaned up a bit, eh? Crazy. If you're ever in London...

5 Comments:

At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What was this 'ear cleaning' supposed to do?

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger pete. said...

Clear out excess wax. But why? I really don't know... To be cool? My ear hygiene has never been that good. Growing up my pediatrician Dr. Belizzi always said, "You could grow potatoes in those ears!"

 
At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I had kids the doctor told me not to clean out their ears- supposedly they are 'self-cleaning'. If you clean them out too much you can cause hearing problems etc...plus the wax is protective.
BUT, I can't help it I want to clean them out!
And so, I do.
It's good to know that I have that job option if the need arises.

 
At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to suggest you try sticking candles in your ear, but I decided to look it up first to see if people really do that or if I just dreamed those commercials at some point in my past. So I came across this link Why Ear Candling Is Not a Good Idea and so I take it back, don't do it. As it turns out, if your instincts tell you not to do something, such as, say, setting fire to your head, you should follow those instincts!

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger pete. said...

Thanks. I will return the ear candling kit and the head-lighting matches pronto!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home