Friday, December 19, 2008

Back in my swing shift days I missed a few famous outings to the Polski Dom/Polish Home for what I imagine was cheap vodka, cheap beer and, I don't know, latkes? I walk by it all the time with Sally, but other than the occasional twinge of regret that I missed a lot of good times because of my stupid schedule, I haven't paid it too much mind. But reading Seattle Magazine at the doctor office (is there any other place people read it?) I learned that Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger played there in '41 and they considered it one of their most rousing gigs. Also, Jimi Hendrix played his first gig there with The Rocking Kings in 1959. Pretty cool to know that such giants walked in our neighborhood. And it's still a happening place--last month there was an Ethiopian wedding that filled the street with dancing and drums (and blocked driveways), lasted all day long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home